AFP offers a number of educational opportunities especially for the experienced fundraising practitioner. These opportunities address both the practical skills and theoretical understanding required of advanced-level fundraisers. Visit the CFRE International website.
The Certified Fundraising Executive (CFRE) is an internationally recognized credential for professional fundraisers who meet specific standards of achievement, skills, and expertise. CFRE symbolizes a commitment to excellence and membership in a community of fundraising leaders.
Certification requires a successfully completed written application and exam, and a pledge to follow the Association of Fundraising Professional’s code of ethics, Donor Bill of Rights, and accountability standards. Applications are judged based on education, professional practice, performance and service.
Top 10 Reasons to Become a CFRE:
- Certification grants you more credibility.
- Certification can improve career opportunities and advancement.
- Certification prepares you for greater on-the-job responsibilities.
- Certification improves skills and knowledge.
- Certification may provide for greater earnings potential.
- Certification demonstrates your commitment to the fundraising professions.
- Certification enhances the profession’s image.
- Certification reflects achievement.
- Certification enriches your self esteem.
- Certification offers greater recognition from peers.
The Advanced Certified Fundraising Executive Program (ACFRE) is administered by the ACFRE Professional Certification Board.
Certification as ACFRE requires successful completion of four stages of the process, which must be completed sequentially: a written application, a written examination, a portfolio review, and an oral peer review.
What opportunities meet the ACFRE requirements?
Candidates for ACFRE Professional Certification should be aware that not all “advanced” or “senior executive” continuing education opportunities are acceptable for the ACFRE application process.
To be eligible, such activities must address one or more specific topics in Advanced Organizational Management or Advanced Organizational Leadership, as described in the ACFRE Application and Guidelines.
What criteria do I need to satisfy?
Those interested in pursuing an ACFRE certification must meet the following criteria:
• Have at least 10 years of experience in professional fundraising.
• Currently have or hope to attain a leadership or managerial role in philanthropy.
• Want to expand their knowledge and understanding of fundraising history, philosophy, and theory beyond a basic level, and/or
• Have identified the ACFRE designation as a career objective.